donderdag 19 april 2012

Old new pictures, 3 songs, no flash!

Went through some old pictures. Actually it was about the first time I used my Nikon D80. It was a very special day. Favorite band, interview with one of the members, sound-check, ... ok, I'm going too fast.

December 7th, 2008. Amsterdam.
The day began being very nervous, very excited and I was living one of my dreams coming true. I went to the Heineken Music Hall and there I was looking for the right person. Had to go to the back and there was Elly. I prepared some questions, mainly for Myles Kennedy, some for the whole band, just in case. Had an interview with Myles confirmed. When I got there, things changed a bit. I was led backstage and saw the band Alter Bridge sitting there. Well, Myles saying nothing and walking around a bit nervously. Plans changed, Myles had problems with his throat and he wasn't allowed to talk. Tonight his voice had to be perfect and they were trying everything to be sure he was ok.
Interview still went on, but now I had the privilege to ask Mark Tremonti all the things I wanted to ask. Asked some things about the band, the writing process, the artwork and finally switched to the art-questions I wanted to. I found out he loves art. Paintings. After the interview we had a little chat and he showed me some drawings his father made. Impressive!
During the interview there was a little interruption. A huge camera came in the room and they asked permission to film a short part. I already had a heartbeat which was higher than normal, but now I really got nervous! First time I had a good interview, ever.. Favorite band, camera crew watching me..
Ok, after that I had to wait at the press-entrance of the venue. A lot of fans stood there, they had won a meet & greet with the band, together with the possibility to see the sound-check. Elly said to the crew that it was ok for them to add me to the group. Didn't expect it and I was really excited to be able to see the sound-check and had a little chat with the other guys as well.
Time flies when having fun. Showtime!
3 songs, no flash, it's the most heard line for a concert-photographer when it comes to instructions before the show. Alter Bridge, favorite band, just had about the best experience in my life, big venue, lots of fans waiting and suddenly the green light to go to the stage to shoot the band during the first 3 songs. It was a very very special feeling, standing between all the fans and the stage. Just some minutes, seconds, before the band would get on stage and the show started. I was glad to see a familiar face in the crowd.
Show started, shot my pictures and was quite happy with the result afterwards. It was crazy. Had my new D80 and used it for about the first time. Had the 50mm/1.8D from Nikon on it, for it was my only lens with bigger aperture.
The moment was magic. Show got recorded on HD. Favourite band, lots of fans behind me.. Ok, the results :)
First I have to tell some more about the results. So I shot the show, got the pictures and yesterday I decided to make a new selection and edited the pictures a bit. Optimizing the RAW-files, something I didn't do at the time. Didn't know how to use the RAW-files so I edited the JPEG-files. Results got better now:
Myles Kennedy and Mark Tremonti

Mark Tremonti, the sticker on the guitar is a picture of Dimebag Darrell

Mark Tremonti

Brian Marshall

Myles Kennedy, focus on the mic and the bracelet, in some way this could be some advertising for the jewelery.

Mark Tremonti

Myles Kennedy

Myles Kennedy

Mark Tremonti

Brian Marshall

Myles Kennedy, btw, he didn't throw the guitar :)

After looking through the pictures I think, because of being limited to the 50mm (75mm calculated to fullframe) the serie itself became more powerful. Distance was perfect for the lens. Satisfied with the results.
Would love to see some comments. Not just the "I like them" or "I don't like them", but I want to know the reason why people like or dislike some pictures.

pictures shot: December 7th, 2008
pictures edited: April 18th, 2012

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten